Friday, August 29, 2008

Working Experience

I would say that I learn more or less, in my gathering news technique and writing skills. Learned a lot from the editors and seniors. But there are more to come. Throughout, I met a lot of people, spoke to them. It has taught me bravery, quick thinking, act quick, and use my advantage to an extent.

There are articles that I covered were published in the daily paper and online. I wouldn't say that I had reached, but I would say that I'm still in the process of learning. Indeed, writing news is not as easy as I think. One must write and rewrite and rephrase a sentence to make it sound sensible and easy to absorb (short, concise, straight to the point).

**********

As of today, the article I wrote came out:

Saturday August 30, 2008 - The Star

Convent Light Street head calls it a day

CONVENT Light Street principal Amy Tan plans to catch up with some reading, cooking and baking following her retirement yesterday.

The dedicated educator was given a rousing farewell amid cheers and appreciative goodbyes from scores of students.

Fond farewell:Students shaking hands with Tan at the school.

Tan was promoted to the post of principal in 2001 after having taught Commerce and English from 1992.

“After this, I’m going to read, cook, bake and take up Mandarin,” she said in Penang.

“I wish to invest in meaningful things while I’m still mentally and physically able and do something challenging to keep my adrenaline active.

“I also wish to spend more time with my husband and family.”

In her farewell speech, she advised her students to have the right attitude and discipline in order to succeed.

Apart from thank you speeches, Tan was presented with gifts such as a card and students’ messages compiled in a book. The students and school staff also surprised her with a birthday cake and song.

The choir group also presented her with a song and cha-cha dance.

They later bade her farewell as she made her way down the school corridors for the last time accompanied by husband Tan Phaik Guan and two daughters before riding off in a shiny dark blue car.

**********

Yay for me, this is my first by line:

Saturday August 30, 2008

Students spice it up for N-Day

By ABIGAIL TAN


GEORGE TOWN: Students of a private college here have come up with a “spicy” Jalur Gemilang – believed to be first of its kind in the country – to show their patriotism.

They took one week to make the 4.2m by 9.1m flag using dried chilli, white sago and yellow lentils (dhal) glued on white cloth.

The chilli and sago were used for the stripes, the lentils for the crescent and star. Sago, which was sprayed blue, was used as the background.

They used 17kg of chilli, 250kg of sago and 20kg of lentils costing RM800 to design the flag.

Unique mix: Segi students putting the finishing touches to their Jalur Gemilang in George Town yesterday. It took them one week to make the flag.

Segi College Penang Business Executive Club committee member Ch’ng Hoe Soon, who headed the project, said the 26 club members spent sleepless nights to complete the project.

“The aroma of the ground chilli caused us discomfort and we even wore masks,” he said.

Principal Jeffrey Goh launched the flag at the college lobby in Jalan Greenhall yesterday.

“Just like there are different spices, Malaysia has different races and cultures. But we are all Malaysians and proud of it,” he said.

Lecturer and club advisor D. Parimala Devi said she got the idea for the “spicy” flag from the different spices used in nasi kandar restaurants.

*************


I must say that driving around this area (jetty, dewan sri, and green hall, jln. masjid kapitan and pitt street) had help me to understand these road in the hard way. Going to these destinations caused a lot of trials and errors like driving round and round the place over and over again and also a love letter from the council :P




One thing that is concern is the high petrol consumption, especially I have to make trips up and down town, almost everyday. There's one day I was assigned with two assignments that I had to complete. In the morning, I had to drive all the way to Penang Chinese Town (PCT) hall, and then in the afternoon to Balik Pulau area. The driving is killing me. In addition, my car air-cond is not working properly, so it's very stuffy inside with the air-cond cooler going downhill with only hot fan. At times I had to wind down the window, but that only invite unpleasant air inside the car. Let me tell you more.




After coming back from PCT in the morning, I came back to office to write about it. Then, I depart an hour earlier from office to get to Balik Pulau schools. I reach there super early, which is 50 minutes before the event. Supposedly to start at 2.30pm. Now I'm there and there's not many people yet. Slowly it picked up and I interviewed some teachers and students for details. Almost at the end of the ceromony, it rained heavily. As the rain subsided, I went into my car, and my front and back window was fogged with water vapor. That's because when I arrived there, it was so sunshiny hot, what more with my non-working air-cond. And now, with the sudden rain, it had created water vapor. Immediately I wiped the front and climbed to the back to wipe it as well. Then off I go. But the fogging picked up again since my air-cond is HOT-cond. Glad that my car got a heater for the back window, but not for the front. I had to constantly wipe it with my hand while driving, cruising along the windy and slippery road with a bad vision :( It's not fun at all! But I thank God that I safely arrived office.




This is just my second week coming to a close, another 2 months and 2 weeks to go. Oh ya, being a journalist, the schedule is uncertain. You won't know your assignment in advance. It's a day before notice. Besides, you even have to work during your weekends and get off on weekday. Oh..working life! With this, it makes me think of my college days where I had ample of free time, play time, and freedom..only no $$ :P



Ok, gtg..working night shift today..CYA and HAPPY MERDEKA!



P/S: I miss my hiking days.. :(



1 comment:

StylerDen said...

I miss them too.. especially the ones we had together... :(